Skip to content
- Mike’s Letter to President Obama March 11, 2009 30 January 2009
President Barack Obama
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
“For everywhere we look, there is work to be done.”
Dear Mr. President,
Much of what you said on January 20tt struck a chord, but nothing matched the simplicity or truth of that particular observation. I am awed by the task at hand, and compelled to tell you about mikeroweWORKS, a public awareness campaign designed ... read more...
- Mike Offers a Potential Eagle Scout His Eagle Perspective March 1, 2009 Still: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean and Reverent…okay maybe not so clean!
From Mike’s forum on Discovery:
I’m not sure where I heard that you are an Eagle Scout, which brings me to my question. Could you PLEASE take a moment & post to my 13 year old son Kelby & encourage him to finish ... read more...
- The Only One Responsible for My Own Safety is Me March 1, 2009 From MRW Water Cooler:
Q: My husband works on the oilrigs as a well tester. We watched you folks do so without any eye protection! Are you crazy? Drilling a hole with no protective eyewear? Between him, a well tester, and me, a workers’ compensation lawyer, we’re cringing! Somebody could LOSE AN EYE! Seriously – Safety First, fellas! I would expect ... read more...
- Banking, Debt & Markets February 21, 2009 Is It Any Wonder the Markets Continue to Sink?
From MRW Water Cooler:
Click here for article from Investor’s Business Daily
Q: “A $75 billion bailout for 9 million Americans who face foreclosure, regardless of how they got into financial trouble, is the government’s answer to the housing crunch. Many Americans who have scrupulously kept up with payments are steaming at the thought ... read more...
- Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs and Being Green (Men’s Health) February 9, 2009 As Originally Seen In Men’s Health Magazine
We gave Dirty Jobs’ Mike Rowe the choice of being interviewed during his cover photo shoot, or writing in the first person about his views on the environment. He passed on both opportunities, opting instead to interview himself from his over-priced hotel room in Santa Monica. Here are some excerpts from that exclusive, one on ... read more...
- It’s A Dirty Job, And I Love It! February 9, 2009 As originally published on Forbes.com
It’s A Dirty Job, And I Love It!
by Mike Rowe, 12.09.08
Whether it’s milking venomous spiders or picking up roadkill, the secret to career fulfillment is not to follow your passions, but to chase your opportunities.
I’ve been thinking about the first time I castrated a lamb with my teeth. (It’s a real job, I swear.) I was ... read more...
- Mike Rowe’s Exclusive Interview with Mike Rowe February 9, 2009 Not long ago, I called a spur-of-the-moment press conference to announce the premature launch of my latest endeavor, a well-intentioned website called mikeroweWORKS. Sadly, the spontaneous nature of the conference resulted in a conspicuous lack of reporters, leaving me no choice but to interview myself. I found a quiet corner in a local bar on the San Francisco waterfront and ... read more...
- Mike Rowe blames his success on Fred King February 7, 2009 by Mike Rowe
Mike Rowe was a stuttering 9th-grader when he met the most outrageous and inspirational choral teacher ever to wear fake teeth. Mike’s life changed for good the day he stole an “Oriole Four” record from the teacher’s office…
When strangers would ask me how I wound up with my name in the title of a hit show, I would ... read more...
- The Sweat Equity of mikeroweWORKS February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
Q: Evening Mike,
If you’re anything like me, you sit there sometimes with beer in hand and think about past accomplishments and future endeavors. When you get praise thrown your way, you shove it off as being in the right place at the right time…whatever…your to humble, Mike. What’s your “Sweat Equity” in this place, my man? ... read more...
- The Office Space February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
Q: Over the weekend, in an effort to avoid anything election related, I was watching one of my favorite funny movies, Office Space.
The first questions are how many people here have had similar situations and feelings about your job? And if so, what would you want to do?
The second question: do you have my stapler?
– ... read more...
- Real Work February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
Q: Mike (and forum readers),
I think the best idea I can come up with is to follow your dreams. Do whatever it is you want to do, not what someone tells you is a better idea. Get the word out that skilled trades are as important (if not more) that white collar jobs.
Hi Bryan, and Welcome
I ... read more...
- Is it all good for the cause? February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
It has just come to light that you are in People Magazine’s ‘Sexiest Men Alive’ issue (yeah…crazy, I know. That’s what I thought.) .
Do you have any concerns that this may reflect in a negative way on what you are trying to accomplish here or is all publicity good right now?
I really would hate for ... read more...
- Where’s the Pride? February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler:
Q: Where’d the pride go in a job well done? What happened to the personal satisfaction one takes in them when they can look over the day and actually see something accomplished? When did we turn into this “quickest, easiest, cheapest way” society that takes virtually everything for granted? Those questions were rhetorical, here’s the real ... read more...
- Not sure if you will see this… February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
Q: How does Discovery feel about your endeavor here? Specifically that you have a message board, and many fans have come over to post. Are they supportive? Have you had to “talk” to them?
DCI is a big company, and I can’t presume to speak for them. I can tell you that my contacts there have ... read more...
- How do you like your coffee, Mike? February 6, 2009 From the MRW Water Cooler
Q: Hi Mike,
Ok, first of all I have to clarify that I don’t work at Starbucks or any coffeeshop around. The reason I asked this question is because I have seen a few pictures of you holding a large cup of coffee. So I assumed you’re quite a coffee drinker. With all of those flavours to ... read more...